Summer is such a busy time for all of us. With yardwork to do, visiting relatives, and enjoying the warm weather we don't have much time to think back on our high school days. The alumni association always takes a bit of hit during the summer months. Fewer visitors to our website, less communications and submitted stories. Our newsletter suffers somewhat during July and August. This year is no exception. Membership in the association is down a little but I hope that it will once again increase this Fall.

If you have a spare moment to reflect on your past please get in touch with us.

Angus Cross

C'60 - Editor, Alumni Connection

Welcome New Alumni Association Members and renewed Members

New Life Member

Robin D'Anjou (Ross)
Class of 1959
from Eastman. QC

New Regular Member

Philippa Settels
Class of 1988
from Greenfield Park, QC

Renewed Membership

Kaye Banham (Alexander
Class of 1957
from St. Lambert, QC

Renewed Membership

Leslie Griffith
Class of 1963
from Saquache, Col, USA

Renewed Membership

Grant Leonard
Class of 1957
from Georgetown, ON

Renewed Membership

Lorne Perry
Class of 1949
from St. Laurent, QC

Renewed Membership

Gord Brown
Class of 1956
from Collingwood, ON

Memberships expiring in August

Brown (Corner) Betty 1940
Lee (Thomas) Gail 1970
Loucks (Macfie) Diane 1974
Shaw   Michael  1961
Smith   Shirley C. 1970
Sones (Talbot) Anne 1956
Thompson Anne 1959
Vipond (Reid) Glenna 1954
Waymann John  1974
Wilson  (Corner) Carol   1950


Peter Payan As always, the July newsletter was full of good stuff.

I especially liked your story of being a trainee on the MIR, a Tall Sailing Ship.

The nearest I came to doing that was to take a Halifax harbour tour on a schooner, I believe. As we headed up the harbour, I was in the wheelhouse and was invited to take the wheel and take the ship about after we sailed beneath the bridge.

I did just that, amazing both myself and the captain with the accuracy of my turn.

Peter Payan

C'59 Life Member, from Montreal, QC

Thanks again Angus..for another great publication... hope we get to another milestone 200,000

Larry Llewellyn

C'65 Life Member, from Toronto, ON

I left Chambly County in 1958. I married a diplomat and lived abroad. I got the remainder of my education at London University (School Of Oriental and African Studies) and the British bar where I ended up becoming a barrister.

I returned to a reunion at Chambly years ago and I have kept in touch with my Chambly County school friends and when ever I am back in Montreal we meet.

I have not subscribed to the alumni association because I see most my best CC friends when I visit Montreal.

Norma Dove-Edwin (Marshall)

C'59 non-member, from Marin-Lagos, Nigeria

We have returned to Canada after 10+ years in Australia. While the weather was the greatest in Bundaberg, health issues cropped up and we thought it was time to be near family.

We met lots of Australians on Bougainville Island 1974-1976 and said we’d retire there when the time came and we did! And we had a great time there in a Retirement Village. The houses were joined at the garages and were all on one floor.

So we’re in Lethbridge AB for the foreseeable future, living with our son Bryn until our “stuff” arrives from Australia—which will be ?? There are only 25 boxes—no appliances or furniture—so it’s not the end of the world if we don’t see it again.

Irene Watson (Dunfield)

C'59 Member, from Lethbridge, AB

Sincere thanks to Rob for his generous donation to our Alumni Connection.

Robert Holmes

C'67 Member, from Edmonton, AB

I would like to put in a plug for Exporail, the Canadian Railway Museum in St.Constant. St. Pierre street off #132. Head south a kilometer or so until you see a full size locomotive on a plinth and turn into the parking lot. Open every day during summer and early fall. Plenty to see and enjoy for all ages, some of it intimately connected with St.Lambert; such as an M&SC trolley car, and various CNR steam locomotives and trains of the type that used to run through our town. There is an operating M&SC street car for rides round the property, and a ride-on model railway through the woods that is a big hit with the younger set. Lots of interactive displays for kids plus an elaborate operating HO gauge model railway, and an IMAX film on putting the CPR through the Rockies.
Lorne Perry - Member C'49 from St. Laurent, QC

We welcome essays from our readers on any subject

What do you think about when you flashback to your high school years? We'd love to hear from you.
Perhaps you went through something since then that you want to share with your fellow alumni.
Whatever the case, send your memories and photos to Angus Cross at or use our contact form.

Email The Editor

Barbecue sauce becomes Saint-Lambert nostalgia

On a Saint-Lambert nostalgia Facebook website they are still missing the Garden Barbecue restaurant sauce that made a chicken dinner so tasty. Of the many things remembered about Saint-Lambert’s past, this sauce and Hartley’s ice cream, is preserved in the memories of longtime residents. And as nostalgia is wont to do, everything was and tasted better back then.

The tangy, medium-brown sauce was a South Shore favourite among patrons of this chicken palace that closed in the mid-80s. The Garden Barbecue restaurant was located where you will now find Hartley Ice Cream on Victoria Avenue. And if you grew up in Saint-Lambert, you likely had at least one meal there. In fact, you may have had many meals, because the choice of fast-food restaurants was limited back then compared to today. Taschereau Boulevard that now has many fast-food eateries was but a two-lane highway back then, although there was Dunkin Donuts and a hamburger joint.

Reaching back more than a decade ago, I found an article that we did in the Journal on the sauce that everyone still raves so much about:

That secret Garden Barbecue sauce; the sauce all old-time Saint-Lambertans are nostalgic for; the sauce from their youth was found, but the recipe came with a price tag. Starved of the sauce since the restaurant's closure, fans have had to live off non-caloric memories. A diet of more than a decade has been too much for some.

A hunt for the recipe led to Jean Delage, who was living on Croissant Achin. This 48-year resident said he had the sauce recipe and but would only release it with a condition. "If someone wants to start a business, I will sell it to them," he said.

While Delage never worked at the Garden Barbecue, he was a best friend of someone who did. Claude St-Jean, who was manager of the restaurant for a while, gave him the secret recipe to keep secret. (And Claude went on to establish his own Taschereau Boulevard restaurant that closed before the end of the last century.) That's where the price tag comes in.

"On top of breaking my promise to keep it secret, I won't get anything for it if I give it away," said Delage.

The sale price is to be determined. He believes though that it has some worth, just as the Colonel from Kentucky Fried Chicken values his chicken spice recipe. Delage did reveal something of the sauce. "It has a special ingredient; you can put in a little or a lot, but you have to put in the right amount," he said. One of the ingredients comes from a commercial supplier to restaurants. Blending the ingredients also factors into the sauce.

While others live on sauce memories, Delage has been living on it since the restaurant closed. "I always make a big batch of it," he said.

Delage too remembers the popularity of the Garden Barbecue — it was a community meeting place.

"This is where it all happened then.... we took our girlfriends there," he said. A place for first love, and a first good sauce.

"Our mothers fed us the sauce blanche so we were happy to get something different," he said.

If you are ready to experiment, I can give you a tip on why the sauce is tasty. That’s because the sauce base is actually from a turkey, with some tangy spices tossed in. So don’t be chicken about using a turkey for the sauce.

by David Leonardo of the St-Lambert Journal

Sheila Kerr (McPhee). Class of 53
Very proud of my daughter Helen who very modestly did not share in this accomplishment.

Helen Kerr C'74

Larry Llewellyn C'65 Life Member from Toronto, ON

It's 1:14am... Couldn't sleep... great adventure at Gull Lake yesterday... before I go into my nauseating spiel, I need to thank the folks at Aquarius, Steve, Nick, and Randy instructors and dive masters affiliated with PADI "WHO DID AN EXCELLENT JOB OF BRINGING ME UP TO SPEED"... after 31 years... I'm back, not quite where I left off, but, going in the right direction.......for those who have never tried SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) I hope these next lines will maybe give you the urge to try the sport.

The day started with a wake up at 5am, then the drive from Maple to Gull Lake, just north of Hamilton, Ont. I drove to Burlington and met up with Nick (I met him for the first time at the dive shop, when I picked up my equipment the day before) he was taking his Masters Dive certification. We shared a light breakfast at Tim Horton's 7:00am and got acquainted, before heading on. Dive time was was overcast, threatening rain, but warm.

We arrived early and the dive master was already there setting up... 10 students were to receive there first open water dive out in the real world (pool work and skills were to be tested)

These skills were reviewed as a group to insure a clear understanding of the days events..."There is a platform at the bottom where a flag was placed". We would meet there and go through the procedures/skills. Too many to add here... that would be the first dive.

Fortunately, I was able to jump ahead and show my buddy how I could perform at depth. We were paired off the group and did our thing the main requirements... The instructors put everyone at ease, "safety" was the word of the day and to have fun, and to have an enjoyable experience.... for me it was overwhelming; I'd practiced in the pool on Thursday, but was apprehensive/nervous as to how I would react in the "real world"... I knew visibility would be an issue.

My last dive logged was in Ilsa Mohares, an Island between Cozumel and Cancun, we dove on the cave of the sleeping shark, that was back in 1986. Here I am 31 years later, and I'm wondering should I be doing this!!

AFTER the briefing it was time to suit up... now if you've never put on the "gear" to enable you to do this sport, let me tell you, you better have had your Wheaties: .tank, fins, mask, snorkel, regulators, buoyancy vest, wet suit and.... 22lbs of lead.... all have to be donned before you can enter the water world.... all of these have their own associated problems if not done right. Your life is dependent that you have been trained correctly. All new fangled equipment since I last entered the water!. Fins were like ski boots, with the attachments... my mask and snorkel were my own, vintage. I was slow in every aspect of putting on the equipment... especially the wet suit... What a struggle.... buy the time I got in the lake I'd lost 30lbs.... gained 50lbs in equipment!

While getting dressed, one of the female students came over to me, and asked sheepishly, "I have a silly question... What do you do when you are out there and have to pee?".... I quickly looked around for her husband, before I answered.... the answer I'll leave up to your imagination!

In the water, which was warm by Canadian standards!... I floundered around like a beached whale; (fell over, I don't know how many times balance was an issue), all equipment was put on in the water, easier where weight wasn't an issue, balance was the problem... finally, all ready to go....

Not quite, one has to become buoyant; so, I am positive buoyant, my body wants to float, not sink! Couldn't get to go down. More weight, went from 18lbs to 22lbs... (In salt water I've worn 34 lbs of lead) finally... we are descending, cold water is filling up all the air pockets displacing in my wet suit. Until my body warms the water around me, its a quick chill... now visibility... I could only see about arms length, at first, as we descended to a depth of 20ft it was about 8-10 feet visibilty. saw fish, Bass, I was told; I think they were "White Fish"! Vegetation was mainly algae, all forms, lots of silt in the water. I had some discomfort with my mask filling up constantly needing to clear it; my ears needed to be purged due to the variations of depth since the bottom of the lake varied... also I think since my mask was so old, it didn't seal properly.

I was instructed to stay to the right of my buddy at all times, pretty soon after we entered the lake I grabbed my buddy’s hand, never let go till the dive was over. Him being a complete stranger, must have thought I was a bit weird; but, I felt comfortable knowing where he was at all times. (My previous training, required my buddy and I to have been tethered, at arms length....) The dive lasted about 25 minutes.... we had a quick lunch. Added a new tank.... went through all the gyrations for the second dive. This time major problems trying to get down... just wouldn't sink... try as I frustrating...till my buddy realized "Larry where's your weight belt?" In my eagerness to get back into the water I forgot to put it on...Oh well, that's why you have a buddy.

It was a safe dive, rain had started to fall, when we began to pack up.... by the way taking off the wet suit is harder than putting it on! Looking forward to more adventures as this years diving season unfolds...I think I can sleep now, if aren't already..... nite

Survival off Sambro

by Angus Cross C'60

It was a warm spring day back in early May of 197_ . I was working the counter of the family marine supply store here in Halifax, Nova Scotia. About 10am a fellow came in to buy some charts of the local waters. We struck up a conversation and I found he had just bought a 25 footer that he was planning to take to his home in St. Margaret's Bay. He said he needed some help as he was new to the area and a novice sailor to boot.

When do you want to go? Says I.

Right away. Says he.

I'm your man, lets go. Says I.

With that I grabbed my sailing bag. Luckily it was in the trunk of my car and had all my normal racing gear including my sea boots, a floater coat, rigging knife and a few outdated hand flares.

The boat was moored at one of the downtown piers and looked reasonably seaworthy. It was about 25 foot, wooden hull, small cuddy forward, and a gas engine. It looked like a converted lifeboat off a coaster. We started up the engine and let go the lines. The new owner, he was a Mountie who had just been transferred to Halifax from the Prairies, had never been on salt water before and was gung ho. I checked the fuel tank with a dip stick and suggested we top up at the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron before heading out of the harbour. Anyway we were underway about an hour later and set our course to take us out of Halifax Harbour and through The Sambro Ledges, along the coast to Peggy's Cove, and then up into St.Margaret's Bay.

As we rounded Chebucto Head at the entrance to Halifax Harbour and entered Sambro Channel the seas increased a little and the wind came up some from the south west. Still a pleasant trip and a nice day to be out on the ocean. It was about 30 minutes later that the engine started to make some odd noises. We shut her down and checked the oil and the cooling tank. Everything seemed OK. We restarted and proceeded on course. About 10 minutes later we were abeam Pennant Buoy when the engine suddenly gasped and died. This time we removed the entire engine box and checked underneath. There was a lot of oil in the bilge. We had lost all the lube oil and the engine was siezed solid. It was about 15:00 hours by now and I figured we would have no problem getting a tow into Sambro from one of the fishing boats heading back to port. We found the anchor but no rode. We took every bit of line we could find and tied it all together ending up with about 70 feet of anchor line. The anchor was only a lunch hook but it seemed to be holding.

By now the wind had strengthened and the seas were building in the shallow confines of Sambro Channel. It wasn't long before we started to drag our anchor. We saw a few fish boats heading in but were unable to catch their attention. I dug the flares out of my sea bag and fired 2 rockets I found but still couldn't catch any attention. As it got dark we continued to drag our way down the channel just missing a couple of shoals as we went. We lit off our last flares with no apparent response. We dug out an old bucket and jammed it full of rags, oil and grease and lit that off and set it up as high as we could. It seemed to give off a good solid glow. Read more ...

Charity Event for Cancer Care

Plans are underway for our 21st annual golf tournament. Last year we raised $10,000 which was donated to the Gayle Hutchison Endowment Fund at St. Mary’s Hospital.

DATE: Saturday September 9, 2017
PLACE: Caughnawaga Golf Club, Kahnawake, Quebec
FORMAT: Vegas - 4 per team
TIME: Please arrive by 10:00 to register,1st tee off at 10:30.
PRICE: $120.00 per person which includes golf, cart and dinner

For questions, please contact Susan or Keith at the following e-mail addresses.


The deadline for registration is August 31, 2016. Return the attached form and make your cheque payable to Keith Thomas, 272 Logan, St. Lambert, Quebec, J4P 1H6. Tax receipts will be issued.

Much of the success of our golf tournament is due to the overwhelming generosity of all of you who donate prizes for the raffle. We hope we can count on your support again.

We always have a great day - if you can't make it for golf, please join us for dinner ($45.00). If you can’t make it for golf or dinner, a donation would be graciously appreciated.

Registration Form &Tax Receipt Information

NAME: _________________________
Address _________________________
Postal Code ______________________
Phone number ____________________
e-mail address ________________________

Yes, I will bring a prize: ________________

Names in foursome:

I cannot golf but would like to attend the dinner. $ 45.00 is enclosed __________

I cannot attend but would like to:
Be a Bronze Sponsor @ $100.00 ___________
Be a Silver Sponsor @ $250.00 ___________
Be a Gold Sponsor @ $500.00 ___________
Give a donation: _______________


Class Contacts Needed

If you are interested in representing your class year as Class Contact. Please contact Angus Cross at

If you know of an alum who you think should be included in our Who's Who please visit the Who's Who Directory and, nominate them


Donald P. McDiarmid

Regret to inform you that Donald P. McDiarmid passed away very suddenly on May 10th, 2017.

Class of 1955.

Submitted by Gail McDiarmid (Seaward) C'56 from Mississauga, ON

Edward Douglas Bates

Edward Douglas Bates, LLB, Q.C., of Vancouver, beloved husband of Sharon Salloum, passed away after a long illness on July 20, 2017 with family by his side. He was 73. Ed was born in Montreal on April 25, 1944 to Mildred and Albert Bates. He grew up in St Lambert, Quebec excelling in track and field, hockey, baseball, and football. The friends he made during those happy years have remained friends to this day, and they are now mourning his loss. Ed completed his undergraduate studies and Law School at the University of New Brunswick, where he met his first wife Margaret.

He worked in Calgary from 1968 to 1974, where he engaged in the general practice of law. Ed joined the Legal Services Department of the Workers Compensation Board of British Columbia (now WorkSafeBC) in 1974. In 1985, he was appointed Director of Legal Services and in 1988 was appointed General Counsel/Secretary. He remained with WorkSafeBC until his retirement in 2015.

He gave sound advice to 16 CEOs during 41 years of service, in a politically sensitive role. Ed was responsible for the initial implementation of the Criminal Injury Compensation Act of British Columbia, which provides compensation to victims of crime in British Columbia. Ed worked for the occupational health and safety of workers, and his leadership led to compensation recovery efforts on behalf of injured or deceased workers, including those who inhaled asbestos fibers. This initiative was at the forefront of ridding the workplace of asbestos-containing materials so that future workers lives would not be impaired or lost as a result.

In 2004, Ed was awarded the John Tait Award of Excellence, for exemplary public legal service in Canada. This award celebrates a legal practice of support and service to client/employers such as government, boards, commissions, and beyond that to the Canadian citizens they serve. In 2012, Ed was named Queen's Counsel, in recognition of his exceptional merit and contribution to the legal profession. He will be remembered for his honesty, integrity, impeccable ethics, quiet sense of humour and dry wit. He told wonderful stories.

Ed and Sharon became friends in 1962. Thirty-three years later he called to invite her for dinner. In 1997, after many dinners, she moved to Vancouver from Toronto to join him. They had many (but too few) happy years together with love, laughter, good food, cats, hiking, travel and being part of the lives of his children. Besides his loving wife Sharon, Ed is survived by his three children; Alan, Mollie (Teal) and Doug and his grandson Tom. Ed's children were his greatest joy, and always on his mind. He said that he took to fatherhood "like a duck to water". He loved, respected, admired and supported his children unconditionally. They were his treasures and he was happiest when they were all together at family dinners. In turn, they adored their father. His beloved grandson, "Mr. Tom," was the light of his life. He is also survived by his devoted and protective sister Glenna (Andy), and his dear niece and nephew, Heather (Paul) and Jim (Kelly).

submitted by Tom Randall C'62 Life Member from Grand Bend, ON

Marie-France Power

Our French teacher was Marie-France Power (née Blanchette) and she passed away in January of this year.
Submitted by Philippa Settels C'88 Reg. Member from Greenfield Park, QC

Brian Sinclair

I just found out that sadly, a classmate of mine has passed away. Brian Sinclair, class of '88.
Submitted by Philippa Settels C'88 Reg. Member from Greenfield Park, QC

If you notice an obituary of a classmate in your local paper
please forward details to Angus Cross at

And Finally...

A Syrian arrives in Toronto as a new immigrant to Canada. He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says, "Thank you, Mr. Canadian, for letting me come into this country, giving me housing, income support, free medical care, free housing and a free education!"

The passer-by says, "You are mistaken, I am Egyptian."

The man goes on and encounters another passer-by. "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in Canada."

The person says, "I not Canadian, I am Pakistani."

The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes his hand, and says, "Thank you for wonderful country Canada."

That person puts up his hand and says, "I am from Afghanistan. I am not Canadian."

He finally sees a nice lady and asks, "Are you a Canadian woman?"

She says, "No, I am from Africa." Puzzled, he asks her, "Where are all the Canadians?"

The African lady checks her watch and says, "Probably at work."